Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, December 9, 2016

Photo Credits: why you need to credit a photographer


Problems
1 I have written a post on another blog on blogger.com and the pictures and layout are all in HTML which I do not yet know. In the olden days, until earlier 2016, I could see the pictures in my draft text in the create box on the create and edit page. So I could know which picture was where and move it up and down into the right part of the page to match the text. Now, when I create my blog post, when I am creating I cannot see how big the photo is until I see the preview.

2 Why do you need to credit a photographer? (Why not? because it's a nuisance if you move photos around. You might forget to do it. The speaker is more important to you and the reader than the photographer.) Who should get the credit for the picture of one of the speakers? Often the photographer will say they don't need a credit.

3 TripAdvisor rejected our photographer's photos with his copyright symbol on them.

Sometimes I think that a post is so out of focus that I don't want a credit.

Answer
I need to credit each picture, especially if I have more than one photographer to avoid confusion if somebody wants more pictures of an event. And give credits for photos. Some professional photographers (me and my husband) insist on it.

Story
The websites are increasingly asking if it’s your photo. You have to state author’s own work or public domain. Wikipedia is getting tougher - you must only use your own photo and can’t even have a church or shop signboard with text because it’s somebody else’s copyright unless it’s in the far distance. or if you have permission to use it. You tube rejects videos which have you playing a piece of music which is copyright, even if its your piano, clarinet. Happy birthday has only just been make public after repeated court cases in the USA.
I need at least couple of hours with my husband to do the HTML and I’ll do it this evening or at the weekend.

Tip
Make a drawing or mind map of each post.
Introduction, paragraphs 1, 2, 3 with the suitable photo. Add the photo to each section not at the end. If you have to add photos later, do your blog post in pages outside first and then load it up with the photo captions in the correct place in order.
When copying a photo from Wikipedia, include the dete of the photo and the author in your Information caption, or the details. That way you can find a Wikipedia

Action
1 Create a fold for draft blog posts.
2 On a non busy day or in the evening after your important daytime tasks are done, add captions to pictures including names of photographers or authors of photos.
3 Superimpose your author name on all your photos to protect copyright.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.
See my posts and photos and performances on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest. Please like my pages, follow and share.

No comments: