Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 15, 2016

My Tube Map Collection



Problem
1 You have several tube maps and don't know which is the latest.
2 All your tube maps get thrown out

Answers
1 Keep only the latest. Write the date large in pencil on the one you just got. (It's on the map.)
2 Keep one current map in your jacket pocket with your bus pass. Store old ones in a box, labelled KEEP THESE FOR COLLECTION>

Stories
My husband threw away all my old tube maps which I was saving. He said, "They were all out of date. You only need the latest one."

But each one has a different cover. I was collecting them. If you like ephemera, or art, or collecting with a view to leaving some history to your grandchildren and the nation, maybe something of both nostalgic value and financial value. But we've a house full of clutter, so many cuttings, papers and books that we have trouble finding essentials, like bills and wills.

Is this grounds for divorce? Or is it what keeps us together, that he de-clutters my life?

What can I do, what can you do, to defeat the clutter-busters and clearer uppers? I should have kept my tube maps in a book labelled postcard collection, with plastic pages, probably loose-leaf. I should have labelled the cover, Historic Tube Maps, collected 19..- 2016. I should have written a caption under each one.

For example, my latest is London Underground Tube Map June 2016. The cover art, so the minuscule print on the back page says, is Tunnel Vision.

Tips
Tube maps are in racks on most of the central area stations. At smaller stations they are often kept behind the counter and will be available if you ask for one.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
See more by and about Angela Lansbury, author, on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube. Please like my posts and follow me and share.

No comments: