Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Russian and Russians in the Czech Republic



ProblemS
Why are there so many Russian dolls in the shop windows in the old town of Prague? Is it because Russia is nearby?

Answer
Just ask a local person and all will be revealed.

Story
Over lunch a Czech friend told me:

"I learned Russian at school. We had to, in the Russian and Communist era. I wanted to learn another language but I had to do Russian as well, right through secondary school and university. I nearly failed my University degree because I could not pass the Tussian exams. The teachers were all Russians, so you had to get it right, no leeway. Eventually, thank goodness, I made it.

"At first Russian seems very easy. It follows rules but there aren't many rules. However, there are exceptions to the rules. Ans exceptions to the exceptions. After you've learned one lot of exceptions, you find another lot of exceptions.

"I still can't speak Russian fluently or well. I've forgotten it. I'm not confident. I can read it. And understand it.

"But this proved an advantage in business. I went to Russian and the people I was dealing with could see I could hardly say a word in Russian. So they assumed I could not understand anything. But I could understand everything they were saying. So when they were discussing a business deal they voiced their opinions and strategy clearly in front of me. That worked to my advantage."

I asked, "Is Russian still useful to you in daily life? Are there lots of Russians here? I've seen Russian dolls in the shops in the old town. Is that to sell to the Russians? Or because it's cheap to buy Russian dolls?"

"It's not because of the shops' customers. It's because of the shops' owners. The Russian dolls are in the shops because the shops are owned by Russians. After the Communist regime ended, the Russians bought up property very cheaply in the Old Town. Many Russians were business minded. The leaders were managing big companies for the state and could see that when it was privatised they could be making money for themselves.

"The children of the rich were used to the idea of having money and running businesses. So the movement for the end of Communism came from within. The next generation, the children of the former leaders, thought they would benefit.

"The Czechs also thought they would gain. The people who had had land or property or shops before WWII, they saw they would get their old property back. So everybody was very happy and enthusiastic and supported the change."

I now look at the Russian dolls with new eyes, new insight. Not just craftsmanship, and geography, but business and history unfold before me. The little dolls are silent witnesses, symbols. of the Russian influence.

My friend continues, "The Russians like to visit the Czech Republic. We were 'a former colony' if you like. So they feel at home."

Ah, like the Brits visiting America, Australia and South Africa, the Commonwealth countries. They speak our language, English, and share our history which we learned at school.

Now you know why the signs outside the restaurants in the Czech Republic are in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Russian.

I sigh, "So Russian is a challenge. I have started learning Russian on Duolingo. The internet is really good for starting new languages, for free."

He smiles, "Yes, it's amazing. You can translate anything into any language. I even did business in China, holding conversation without speaking a word, just typing in Czech and showing the Chinese the translation. We managed quite well."

For the traveller, and the linguist, and the non-linguist, we are living in the golden era.

Tips
Use Duolingo to learn languages for free.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Teacher and tutor of English, languages and public speaking.
Follow me on Facebook. Link to me on LinkedIn. I am also on Twitter and Instagram. See me perform poetry and speeches and give guides to spelling and grammar on YouTUbe.
See more posts and other blogs. Please like and share.

No comments: