Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Name Days And Names Worldwide



Problem
How do you remember people's names?

Answer
1 Keep repeating the name.
2 Discuss the meaning of their name, or why they were given that name. Some names are related to name days.

Story
How did I get my names? I was given my first name by my grandmother (my maternal grandmother - my mother's mother). My second name was chosen by my mother. The surname came from my father.

My surname is Lansbury. That's on a deed poll for change of name. The original name was from Ukraine. After WWII my parents wanted to change the name to something which sounded more English. Easy to pronounce and patriotic.

I thought that my parents changed the surname before I was born. After my parents both died I opened a deed box and discovered that my name was changed when I was a toddler.

The name of the new surname copied the initial letter of the original name. In my family we also kept the initial letters of our first names over three generations. Albert-Angela-Anthony. It makes it easy to have one set of name tapes, or handwritten labels, or initials, especially if you borrow each other's hats, gloves, bags, suitcases and umbrellas.

I could celebrate my name day, for Angela, on the English day, which is the same as the day in German and Austria, but other countries have more dates!

Tip
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day
Wikipedia covers 22 countries:
Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Poland, Romanis, Russia, Scandinavia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Hispanien America, Sweden, Ukraine.
http://www.happynameday.com/country.php
(Name days for these 18 countries: Austrian, Bulgarian, Czech, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish. The site sells greeting cards and ecards.

Author
Angela Lansbury

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, speaker, teacher of languages.
Please follow my posts and share. More on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube. Books by Angela Lansbury on Amazon.com and Lulu.com

No comments: