Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Who Teaches Which Language Free Online?

Problem
Where do I find which language?

Answer
I went onto the Memrise site looking for Portuguese as spoken in Portugal, rather than Brazil. I wrote down the list, alphabetically, so I could check faster and quickly see if I had missed out any language. I started making my list on scrap paper - I could type it up, then throw the paper away. But I don't throw away scraps of paper. I keep them in case I want them ten minutes later, or a day later, or a week later, or years later.

What a waste of effort. scraps of paper creating clutter and confusion. You can't store them or find them. I wrote the list down in a notebook.

Here's a handy list:


Memrise Languages


(Available in February 2018. More might be added later, so if you come back in ten years time, check with their website.)
Arabic
Chinese (Simplified)
Danish
Dutch
French
German
Icelandic
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Mongolian
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese - Brazil
Portuguese - Portugal
Russian
Spanish - Spain
Spanish - Mexico
Swedish
Turkish

That's nineteen languages. I wondered, why Icelandic? Those who grow up in the country already know their language. How many people go to work there? On the other hand, Iceland is popular for short breaks. Poeple might want to know please and thank you and how to order food and drink.

Earworms:
(Disc you listen to with soothing music which supposedly helps you learn as well as overcoming the stress of learning a language.)
Arabic
Chinese
French
German
Greek
Italian
Japanese
Russian
Spanish


My motto: Learning while travelling. 
Waiting for a bus or train or plane, sitting on a bus or train or plane, is never wasted time - if you continue to learn whilst travelling.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker, learner and teacher of languages. I have many more posts on languages and destinations. Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts.



No comments: