Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, March 12, 2018

Dealing With Your Dead Relative's Social Media Posts, Online Obits And Outpatient Appointments

You will have trouble trying to take down a relative's media sites if you don't have their passwords.

Even people who you would think would know, don't know. After my late uncle died in Barnet hospital, in 2002, I received a notice from Barnet hospital giving him an appointment for an eye test.

When I phoned during hospital hours, the line was engaged. When I phoned after hours, the only department I could get through to was maternity. I left a message asking them to call me back. 

When maternity called back, I explained the problem. I asked to be put through to the right department. 

I started by saying I needed to cancel the eye appointment for my uncle. The lady who answered said, "You can't cancel for somebody else. They have to cancel their own appointment."

I replied, "That's not possible. He's dead."

She said, "Can you supply us with evidence?"

I said, "I can't. But he died in your hospital. You should be able to establish that you are wasting time filling up your day with appointments for somebody who is dead."

After that, she was very apologetic. "Oh, no," she said, "Not again!"

If you have a relative who is in a hospital or undergoing a major operation or making a will, ask them to write down all their passwords for you.

Book
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5488203/Why-technology-reminding-Ive-just-lost-Mum.html
The Art of Not Falling Apart by Christina Patterson, published May 2018, can be pre-ordered through amazon.co.uk.

Useful Websites
ancestry.co.uk
https://www.cwgc.org (Commonwealth War Graves Commission)
facebook.com
https://www.findagrave.com
(My memorial to my uncle is at /memorial/8841031/joseph-ronald-geduld )
flickr.com
forcesreunited.co.uk
friendsandrelations.com
gonetoosoon.org 
inmemoryof.co.uk 
linkedin.com
muchloved.com 
myheritage.com

You might also wish to check for family photos and add a post about the lifespan or gravestone on sites such as:
Instagram
twitter
And dating sites!

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have several other posts on funerals. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: