Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

What time is it in LA, Chicago, New York and London, England? Pacific, Central and Eastern time

Problem
A webinar asks me to sign up and choose a time. What time is it where?

Answers
The webinar says the times available are:

Pacific                                 Central                    Eastern
(Los Angeles)                     (Chicago)                New York
10 am                                  Noon                       1 pm

2 pm                                    4 pm                        5 pm

My laptop, set to UK time, says that the meeting starts one day or two ahead plus such and such a time which is 5 hours ahead.


Pacific                                 Central                    Eastern
(Los Angeles)                     (Chicago)                New York           UK
10 am                                  Noon                       1 pm                   6 pm

2 pm                                    4 pm                        5 pm                   UK 10 pm

I can't find a tab for columns on blogger.com in which I create posts for blogspot.com on which you read posts. However, I shall check to see this looks OK.

I now have a magic, easy to understand comparison of time zones in the USA, plus a comparison between the USA, all three regions, and the UK. I can sign up for a webinar, recommend it to friends in the UK when they are at home in the day rather than out for the evening, or returned from work.

As soon as I clicked publish on this post I got the feedback that people in the USA were the greatest number of those logging onto my post. But the second highest number was people in Germany. (Could be Americans in Germany.) So to help them I thought I must check the time difference between the UK and Germany.

I bet most people in Germany know. However, the clocks changed last week. Also, as a freelance writer and former sub-editor I know don't rely on what you think - ALWAYS CHECK!

Germany - and most of Europe, is one hour ahead. That means that 10 am in the UK is 11 am in Berlin.  11 am in the UK is noon - are they about to go out to lunch in Berlin? Or are they free to chat about non-work items and watch videos? Noon in the UK is 1 pm in Germany. 2 pm in the Uk is 3 pm 3 pm in German. 4 pm in the UK is 5 pm in German - are they going home - is their switchboard no longer answering? 6 pm in the UK will be 7 pm in Germany - are they home already, not keep to take business calls when they are with family? A really handy comparison.

When recording videos, podcasts, and speeches, I must remember not to say good morning, afternoon or evening, unless I explain when the recording was made, but instead say, hello. because people could be watching the recording any time.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please save and share links to your favourite posts.       

No comments: