Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, January 11, 2019

Norwegian Airlines offering free wifi on long-haul flights - compare Singapore Airlines and Norwegian




Norwegian Airlines interior. Photo available from Wikiedia. Photo author Charterlaila.

Norwegian Airlines is a budget carrier. Third largest budget airline in Europe, according to Wiki. Currently their European flights offer free wifi. Now they are adding long-haul destinations.


Flag of Singapore.


 I like to fly London Heathrow to Singapore (tropically hot weather, albeit humid, allyear) where I have family.

Alternatively, in past years I have flown on to New Zealand, where there is skiing and reverse seasons. (New Zealand and Australia have their pleasant summer in when Europe and London's have winter weather). In summer in the UK you can go skiing in New Zealand. I have had a stopover in Singapore in both directions. What could Norwegian do for somebody like me?

Heathrow or Gatwick?
Singapore Airlines goes from Heathrow. Norwegian goes from Gatwick. Factor in the time and cost of going from London to Gatwick. Obviously Norwegian would win if you are in South London or south of London. Singapore Airlines at Heathrow is more convenient if you are in the north or west of London.

From central London you can hop on a train to Heathrow or down to Gatwick. Just check the times and prices.

Premium Wifi
Norwegian offers a premium rate for the wifi - hold on a minute, I thought it was free? What do you get for the premium rate?

Simple. The basic free wifi allows you to read your mail and send messages. The premium rate is faster. So you can watch films (movies) and videos. I think of it as a film running a dozen (twelve) or two dozen pictures a second. So the faster, or more complicated system needed for the movie costs you extra.

On Singapore Airlines I get the movies free anyway.

In years to come they predict that the aircraft will do away with screens in the back of seats and instead you will be watching movies on your handphone.

I don't like that idea. What if my handphone was stolen? My handphone requires a subscription in my home country which does not cover others. I don't buy a phone for the other country until I land. Meanwhile, I would pay huge extra charges for roaming in another country and watching movies.

My screen is tiny. I would have trouble reading texts and subtitles.
Singapore is a great stopover between Russia or Europe and Australia. 
Travel Tips
Singapore Airlines: 

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite posts.



See also my posts on Waterloo Street, The National Gallery, and Singapore's big attractions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6569843/Norwegian-budget-airline-offer-free-WiFi-duration-long-haul-flights.html

https://www.esky.com/airlines/al/dy/norwegian-air-shuttle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle

Author
Angela Lansbury


No comments: