Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Learn a letter from the Russian Alphabet - the Cyrillic alphabet



Russian flags from Wikipedia. Credit Kremlin.ru

I made a major breakthrough which I'll share with you!

 A pair of mis-matched letters in Russian and English which puzzled me for years.  RUSSIAN N looks like English H.

Today I got a breakthrough.
What looks like English capitals HET is Russian for no, nyet. (I remember the song sung by Goldie Horn in a movie.

The song went: 'Nyet, Nyet, nyet, nyet, not any more  ...'

So, now we can look at HET, HET, HET and recall that it stands for nyet, nyet, nyet . Any time we see H we can remember Het is nyet.

Very handy if you are in Russia or planning to go there and grappling with the alphabet. Also useful if you are trying to teach the Russian alphabet to somebody else or several other people.

Cyrillic is also useful if you go to Bulgaria.
Angela Lansbury
travel writer and photographer 

1 comment:

Uliana said...

Great recommendations, thanks! I am now learning Russian at the online school "Leader" and I can say that this is one of the best schools. The approach of teachers and modern teaching methods give excellent results. On the site you can take a free test to determine the level of Russian, try https://golearnrussian.com/free-online-test/