Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Chinese Fortune Cookies - Fortunately My Friend Knew Their History

Fortune Cookies in Singapore supermarket. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

"Tell me about Chinese fortune cookies," I said to my friend and mentor in Singapore. He was born in Hong Kong and his first language is Cantonese, then Mandarin and English.
We stood in a Chinese supermarket in Singapore.
He smiled, "Those are not Chinese. You don't see them in China. They were invented in America."

Ah, yes. I remembered learning that a long time ago. I had forgotten. Fortunately, my good fortune to have a friend who knows.

Later I looked in Wikipedia. Fortune cookies appear all over the world, but the biggest manufacturer is in New York and rival claims are made for the cookies coming from the Chinese or Japanese immigrants to America.

Nutritionally, well, read the packet.

More Information From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie

More Information From

Travel Tips
Singapore Airlines: 
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, speaker and trainer in the English language about English language and other languages. Please share links to your favourite posts.

See also my posts on Waterloo Street, The National Gallery, and Singapore's big attractions.




No comments: