Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, April 7, 2016

L'Oreal Face Shaping Haircut

Yes, this is what I have always wanted. A face shaping haircut. An advertisement pictures in Singapore.

Many women and men cut their hair shorter in hot countries or when travelling in summer. But long hair frames your face and can be used to shape it.

I had one disaster at a hair salon in Singapore.  I wanted a short bob which is shaped underneath, tapering and thick, so it looks like a cross between a coconut and a pear.  Unfortunately I hadn't realised that it's not just the cut. You need to have thick hair to start with.

An American friend told a group of us at a Toastmasters International club meeting that a decade or two ago he arrived in Singapore with a had of dreadlocks. (I thought bears and long hair were banned years ago?) Each year he cut his hair shorter, because of the heat.

One year I travelled from the UK to visit a boyfriend in the USA. I cut my hair just before I left. New me. Advice columns tell you not to look the same forever. It dates you. Somebody new comes along and strikes afresh

He was disappointed. He said one of the things he had liked about me was my long hair.

I once went to a hairdresser in Raffles Hotel shopping complex where they had a computer. You keyed in a photo of yourself and lots of details. The whole process took about half an hour. The result was a photo of your face in a hairstyle which the computer said best suited your face and what you requested (eg short or long, fringe or none, blonde, black, red, brown, straight or curls, and so on, eye colour, face shape etc.

 You could change your requirements, print off the result to show your family and friends, email the result (with their advertisement on the end) to everybody you knew. Key yourself into their system and get reminded when you were next due for a tint or haircut. Probably also special offers for your birthday, wedding anniversary, and Valentine's Christmas holidays.

You can do something similar with the shape of your spectacle frames to suit the shape of your face, and whether you need large lenses, or tinted glasses.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: