Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Table at 7 by Karl and Eugenia, my latest favourite restaurant in Singapore

A party cum cookery machine demonstration held by two good friends was the place where I had the good fortune to meet Karl and Eugenia, who run a restaurant called Table at 7. The restaurant does evening dinners only, no lunches, and it's chief unique selling feature is the Karl , whose family have a farm in Austria, is in charge of the Western menu,whilst his wife/partner/whatever Eugenia offers Indonesian food.

You can see into the kitchen from the restaurant. The server was very obliging and knowledgeable.


We were considering going for the a la carte menu, but after a long period of indecision, I saw that the set menu included coffee or tea plus a chocolate for each person, so I decided that the set meal at $88 (Singaporean) was the best option. 

I had also hesitated to have it because it contained two dishes including shellfish to which I have an allergy. However, Karl was quite happy to change these dishes for me.

Drinks
I started with a mojito cocktail. It contained flecks of ming.

We opted for a bottle or Reisling which turned out to have artwork on the label (like the bottles of the Rothschild family featured on a poster I bought from one of the Rothschild families in England. That's the first bottle we've bought containing an artwork label, so we saved the bottle and took it home.

I loved the delicately thin-rimmed water glasses.  Alas I don't think you can buy them retail. The glasses are provided free to restaurants by the mineral water supplier. 

I also recognised the lidded tea cups which I had learned were provided free to restaurants supplying Dilmah tea. (I found that out when I asked to buy one at the recent Food and wine show at Expo in Singapore (see my previous post on the show).

Events at the restaurants include music nights. Currently, the paintings on the wall feature musical instruments. The artist changes the pictures every couple of years for the restaurant for a small charge, updating the look and experience.

Everything tasted exquisite, flavourful, different from anything you know and different from the previous dish. Even the chocolates were lovely, with a strong chocolate flavour, soft suckable centre and crispy contrasting hard chocolate shell.
Here is Karl.
Getting To Table At 7
A short walk uphill from Clarke Quay MRT railway station; Motorbike parking opposite the restaurant is just outside the toll taken by the ERP (electronic road pricing). The 54 bus routes you to Newton MRT station on the Downtown line.

The restaurant is easy to find, about three or four shops in from the end of the road.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: