Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Foods around the world transformed - angel hair pasta

Angel hair pasta seems to be more popular in the East than in the West. The Italians have many kinds of pasta and so do the Singaporeans who use the word noodles.

The Chinese or Singaporean Version
A favourite in Singapore is angel hair pasta with large shrimps (which look to me like king prawns). I have always avoided it in the past because I've had very bad reactions to shellfish, especially crab and king prawns. However, seeing a delicious looking platter of angel hair pasta, with just a small scattering of the large prawns on top, I wondered whether the seller had simply added a few prawns on top, without adding any sauce, nor mixing sauce into the dish.

I decided to risk trying a small portion from the side of the dish. I could always spit it out into a paper tissue. It was fine. Emboldened, I tried some more.

The first time I did this was at a Toastmasters club in Singapore, Brilliant Advanced, meeting near Telok Ayer MRT. I enjoyed my new discovery.

The Version From the Philippines
The second time was at Filcom, a club started for Filipinos, who bring along home cooked Filipino food. This time the angel hair pasts was cooked with a marinade of mixed chicken marinade and other (I think pork). Other meat and fish ingredients mixed in were strips of chicken, small pieces of chicken liver, chopped Chinese sausage which resembles salami but the size of a Frankfurter or hot dog, and black mushrooms - plus the large shrimps which I avoided. I had never enjoyed or remembered the ingredients of Filipino food before, despite visiting the Philippines and trying food at a hotel buffet, but now I have one dish I love and will be encouraged to try more.

If you are looking for a way to vary or expand the ingredients in a dish of angel hair pasta, this is a very tasty dish to try.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: