Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Art on the Underground at Clarke Quay station in Singapore

Stations in Singapore, particularly the newer ones, have art relevant to the location or history of the area. This mural in Clarke Quay is called The Reflections and is by Chua Ek Kay.  In London we have art on the underground. In Singapore we have ArtinTransit. 




I am very glad I took a picture of the description because I am usually rushing through the station on my way to a meeting and do not want to stop to read. Later on I have time to  digest the information and analyse it. My first reaction is surprise that the mural, which I assumed had just arrived, have been in place since 2001. 

My other question  was how many murals are there. As you rush through the station you might see one or two. The plaque tells you that there are four.

Another question is: how big is the mural? This one is 20 metres, about 200 feet. 

Is it a total imaginary view or taken from an old photo? 

Is the scene current or showing history? it is about the 19th century, or 1800s.

Is it a canal or river? It is the Singapore river. That's easy to remember. 

More to research: the artist Chua (male or female?). Presumably Chinese with a name of  three separate almost one syllable words. Chua is a popular family or clan name. 

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: