Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Italian and German words - same; difference


Problem
How to remember Italian and German words I am learning on Duolingo?

Answer
Look for similarities.

Story
I thought gestern, German for yesterday, was difficult, yESTERday. Today no problem.

Tips
Same Word

Italian - English
zoo - zoo

German - English
Kindergarten - kindergarden (the German word has a Capital letter)
the kindergarden in German is der Kindergarten (not das nor die) the er looks like en with a bit of the n chopped off
morgen - tomorrow MOR is the same in both words (I think 2MOR(row) (again) aGEN
die Prüfung - exam or test (I think I am proofing or proving myself with a test or exam - examining) - again note the capital letter in the German noun
die Uni (University or college) - I'll die if I don't get to university
gestern - yesterday gESTERn yESTERday
Fachbereich - faculty or department FAChbereich FACulty

Travel writer, author, English and languages teacher.

No comments: