Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Find Your Way By Bus In Singapore


Problem
How to find the best bus, the bus stop, the cost, the journey time, and the stop where you alight?

Answers
Get the address of the place you are visiting, including:
the building name,
the section (such as Tower A or Tower B, or block 650)
a nearby landmark
a department store at the end of the shopping mall if it's a large mall so you go to the nearest area
the postcode for satnav or GPS (Global positioning system which is broadcast from satellites - satellites are the hardware, GPS is the software and Satnav or satellite Navigation is what you get out of it - some sophisticated and expensive watches for climbers and hikers include GPS)

Story
I took a journey to a COMMUNITY Centre in Jurong Green. I found a search website and entered my starting point and destination. First I had to walk to the correct stop to board. Then I had to get off at the correct stop.

1 I brought up the maps or my starting point and destinations on my laptop, printed the colour maps, and also photographed the maps on my mobile phone.

When I got to the bus stop, I photographed the list of stops and counted them. I had three columns of stops and had to take three photos.

The stops were confusing. The had a number and a name. The name was often a building on the other side of the road. For example, opposite such and such a station, or building.

I wrote down the destination stop and the one before it with gaps in between and noted I had about 14 stops and the journey would take about 30 minutes.

As I came to each stop i noted how many stops, 1st, second, third, the name of the stop, the number and gave it a tick.

When I got to the stop before mine I checked that the Bus Stopping sign was illuminated. Otherwise I would have had to press the stop button.

I got out my MRT/bus card ready to swipe on exit. Noted the handrail to grab and got near the exit.

I double checked by asking the bus driver at the previous stop (not speaking to him whilst he was driving which is forbidden as the notices tell you).

Tips
Count the number of stops, the number and name of the last stops, and photograph either the route on your laptop screen or the route on the sign at the bus stop.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: