Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Flying from cold to hot or hot to cold - weather, whether or not


Problems
Your flight goes from a hot country to a cold country and back? What do you pack and wear on the plane there and the plane home?

Answers
Pack and dress layers so your clothes suit all seasons. Take gloves and warm underwear and socks. They are small to carry, hard to find in a hurry in the wrong season, and give you a warm base. Carry or pack on top of suitcase or on the right so you know where it is when you need it instantly on arrival, or pack in hand luggage one or two pairs of heavy boots and a warm hat or scarf and umbrella. Similarly, for hot weather and staying in hotels overnight, I take a swimsuit, a bikini if my figure and local customs allow one in hand luggage or handbag. Then if you arrive at sunset you can dash to the pool without spending an hour unpacking.

Story From Finland
I once had to waited half an hour for my luggage from a coach party to be delivered by porters at around six. I gave up, grabbed a towel and raced down to the hotel sauna which would be closed by the time we finished our welcome dinner bound to go on later than eight pm. Instead of showering in my hotel room I showered in the swimming area, got to try the sauna. The group leader (It was a press trip to Finland) apologised that we were not able to sample a Finnish sauna (where you rest on a towel in the nude). I just smiled and retorted, "DOn't worry. I've seen it already." One person thought I was joking. Another one asked, "How did you do that?"

Story From Europe
I went to Warsaw in ankle deep snow and recently to Prague. I took two pairs of boots. My ankle boots gripped my ankles and were good for walking up and down hills. My loose Wellington type boots were for snow but were tiring for long walking. It's good to try to a short foray around the block, ostensibly to take a photograph, to try out your shoes, before committing yourself for footwear for a whole morning walk, a walking tour, or a day out.

Story From The USA
My family learned to ski at the weekend when we lived in Rockville, Maryland in the USA. We went to the snowy hills to ski at weekends in winter.

We drove up north for the autumn cool to see the Fall leaves falling from the trees along the wet and windy east coast.

We would drive south to Georgia or Florida for shoulders season Spring conferences. In high summer it was so hot that local business people left the city and hotels were cheap.

Europe
Across the ocean, jokingly called 'The Pond', in Europe, Paris is deserted in hot August when families go away on holiday and some of the best restaurants are closed just when tourists arrive expecting everything to be open.

Singapore and New Zealand
I like to go from Singapore to New Zealand to ski.

I often go out to Spain or Singapore for Christmas or the cold January to February or March months.

Tips
Book a hotel near transport such as a bus stop or train station. (In Singapore called MRT which you can remember as meaning mass railway transit or travel). In Singapore the central crossroads has the Marriott hotel and adjacent Tang's Shopping mall linked to an underground walkway which goes from Orchard MRT station adjoining IO shopping mall. From Orchard MRT walk underground along the air conditioned and free from sunlight and rain along Orchard Road under shopping malls via two basement levels of shops and restaurants and at one point an Aquarium with lots of small fish in fish tanks.
Similar underground links and above ground links connect hotels to shops for all weather walking in other countries. Some are in Canada and others in South Africa.

Author
Angela Lansbury. Please read my posts on other blogs on blogger.com, see my profile here or on Facebook and LinkedIn. I am a travel writer and photographer and author and public speaker and train speakers and teach English and languages. Like my pages and share.

No comments: