Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Gehry in Paris and Prague


Problem
Frank Gehry is a world-famous architect. I was first impressed by his waterside building in Bilboa, wave shape, or sail shape.
I thought about curves in architecture. Nineteen Fifties architecture worldwide, both UK and China was oblong blocks. I like curves, curved walls, curved balconies, curved rooftops. Curves have appeared in different forms through the centuries: gothic arches in cathedrals; domes; art deco in the nineteen thirties; Italic script; mosques.
Where can I see a Gehry Building? What else has he done?

Answer
Bilbao - Guggenheim Museum on the waterfront
Paris - Louis Vuitton Foundation for Creation - with art exhibition until February 2017.
Prague - Dancing House containing restaurant and hotel overlooking river and hilltop castle on the other side.
Spain - hotel in the north in the Rioja region
Others in France, (Disneyland, Paris), Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Hong, Kong, Australia. Many more buildings in the USA.

Story
A friend told me about her birthday trip to Paris when she visited a new Gehry building. When I saw the picture of it my interest increased a hundred fold. I thought of the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words.



My friend put her picture of the museum she visited in a book celebrating her birthday trip to Paris.

Here's my picture of the Dancing House. See also my previous post on the Dancing House.


Tips
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Frank_G…

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please share my posts.

No comments: