Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Natural Insecticides: lemon, lemon grass and garlic. I bought some. Now what?


Problem
I just got bitten walking back from he swimming pool. Time to apply a natural repellent.
You and want to deter insects, but have a pleasant smell. Ideally a location, not a chemical you spray on yourself and therefore are likely to breathe in.

Answers
Garlic, lemon, orange, cinnamon, vinegar, cayenne pepper, peppermint, lemon grass, all seem to be effective.

Story
Our family shopper brings home the lemon grass. We are not used to dealing with it. So it sits unopened. After two days I am compelled to do research.

The bad news is that lemon scent applied to your skin has to be reapplied every two hours, according to one source. Ok, I can do that. I just want it for a walk down to the swimming pool. After I swim, it will have been washed off anyway. So I need a zip-lock bag containing a slide of lemon to reply after my swim for the walk back.

Too complicated. Simpler to carry with me one of those containers of lemon juice in a plastic bottle (sometimes yellow plastic shaped like a lemon) from the supermarket.

To keep a good supply of lemon grass, as well as providing a permanent solution, I need to grow it in a container.

The same applies to a lemon tree.

Planting Lemon Grass
How do you plant lemon grass? Direct into the soil? It seems that you have to put it in water first and watch for roots. After a few days, when you see roots, you can carefully plant it in the ground near the back of your house, or a window box or a container on a balcony. Keep it watered.

Tips
http://helloglow.co/natural-remedies-household-pests/

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer, author and speaker.

No comments: