Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, January 13, 2017

Tash Turkish Restaurant Review And Photos


More about T a s h Restaurant (Autocorrect turned T a s h into last!)
A fuller review of this restaurant is in the previous post.

Problem
Restaurant menus are full of unfamiliar terms.

Answer
Check menus online in advance, check with translate and ask at the restaurant.

Story
The last thing I did before I left was ask what Tash meant. I had assumed it was somebody's name. No. Tash means stone. The owner, I presume, he could have been the manager, proudly showed me the stone with hot coals behind glass in the cooking area which is right in front of you. That's reassuring if you always wonder what staff are actually doing to your food. The chef looks pretty happy.
He was cooking the flat bread and the 'kebab'. I have referred to kebab because that's what I and most diners in the UK already know from the many ethnic restaurants in London and around the UK. It's called what looks like cop on the menu. The menu is all translated, no problem.

Still to try and do?
The toilets. Ask who owns the place and if the chatty man we met was the owner or manager.
One thing on the menu I wanted to try was the root vegetable drink. I think it was turnip. They said it was not available and all year only one person other than me had asked for it so they were going to remove it from the menu. Please go in and ask for it! I want to try it. Why? Novelty. Extra healthy option.

It's not Michelin but it's an excellent lunch place. Our bill was about £74 for four without tipping. That included mixed cold hors d'oeuvres for four. The hot or mixed hot and cold hors d'ouvres is lightly more expensive. We had enough food to take some home.
Tips
Prices
If you want a quick, cheap lunch, there's the one course and a drink on the Lunch Express menu. The price for that in January 2017 was £7.50.

1 Check and ask if you want your yogurt drink sweet, salty or neither. Mine was salty and I didn't like it. My companion thought it was OK. Some people would like a salty yogurt drink with a savoury dish, but I am used to sweet lassi and mango lassi in Indian restaurants and want to limit my salt intake.
2 Check the drinks menu for the coffees and teas on offer. Three of us had Turkish coffee - after my experience with the yogurt I thought to ask for it without sugar. Another alternative to Turkish coffee is mint tea made with fresh mint.
When you type in the name of this place autocorrect turns T A S H into C A S H.
3 Get your leftovers wrapped up to takeaway. Makes another meal and saves you time and money.

If you have had cancer in the family and fuss about food blackened from a grill, which the cancer websites tell you to avoid no trouble cutting off the edges of a chicken kebab, large chunks. I was with three other health freaks, yet I was the only one who wanted to do this.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Please read my other posts and more blogs on restaurants, restaurant etiquette, travel, spelling, languages, and more, on blogger.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, PinIt, LinkedIn, videos of me on Youtube (to get me rather than the Actress you may have to type in author or poet and look for my picture or the cover of one of my books. My books are on Amazon.com and Lulu.com Do take a look. You can buy them online. If you meet me I'll sign one for you, with an amusing couplet made up to fit your interests or name. Please follow my posts and like and share.
(Photos being added to this post shortly.)

No comments: