Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Good News About Geckos and Little Lizards - and Komodo Dragons! And Mosquitos.


Problem
In Greece I was terrified of geckoes.

Answer
In Singapore they don't bother me. Why?

Story
Greek Gecko
I recall visiting Greek islands and being terrified of geckoes. I thought they were scary, unpredictable, might bit, were unhygienic, could fall off the walls or ceilings onto me and my suitcase of clothes.

I have to think back. What was I so afraid?

I must have lifted the lid of my suitcase, exposing the contents to anything falling in. Then placed shoes on the floor, exposed to anything hiding inside. Then I lay down to rest on the bed, and heard a noise and saw a lizard scuttling across the wall or ceiling, equally bad when visible or invisible. Maybe I went into the shower, undressed and vulnerable, likely to slip on a wet floor, not wanting a lizard in my white towel, alone with it in a small space, having it in the clean water. I was terrified. I couldn't sleep, hearing it scuttling around. I called the management. They came and assured me that it was harmless. Too avail. I was still upset. Couldn't wait to get out to the restaurant, away from the bedroom where I was alone.

Singapore Gecko
Later in Singapore I first saw geckos on the outside walls. No use screaming and calling for help. The creature was out of reach and disappeared. Just walk away.

Then I saw a gecko indoors with other people around. They were not bothered but chased it away to mollify me.

Finally I was alone with a gecko. But it wasn't a big one - it was teeny.

I phoned for advice and help.

My spouse was at work. "How big was it."

I admitted, "Er - tiny."

"Probably more afraid of you than you are of it. Cover all food. Leave it alone. It will go away."

I went back. It was in a corner. Hiding. But could not escape. Quite right - it was afraid of me.

I tried to reassure it. "Please go out of the window. Or the door. Come on. I'm not going to hurt you. I promise. You are OK."

I think that was the turning point. Now I'm not bothered by larger ones the size of my hand. The only ones I don't like are Komodo dragons. On the isle of Lombok. And in London zoo, London, England. They are big and dangerous, like crocodiles combined with a hippo. But little lizards clinging to the wall anywhere else. No problem.

The good news about Komodo dragons was that they were confined to Lombok. The bad news is that we now have one in London, albeit in a zoo.

Tips
Talk to your lizard. Reassure it. Reassure your children or guests. You'll probably soon find that you are no longer bothered.
Geckos eat mosquitos. Since we have had a case of dengue in the block where I have lived in Singapore, a gecko is a welcome sight.

Indonesian Island with 'dragons'
The Komodo dragons, large lizards, are on Lombok. Going east, you see Sumatra, Java, Bali, Lombok, Zumbawa, them more Indonesian islands, about another 13,000. I once watched a very nasty video of Komodo dragons circling a poor animals, biting its ankles and watching it gradually collapse until the pack of dragons could eat it.

Author
Angela Lansbury.

No comments: