Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, January 27, 2017

Chinese New Year Reunion Dinners




Problem
A friend in Singapore emailed me asking for contacts for a club which should be meeting today.

Answers
You can go onto the Toastmasters International website and find meetings worldwide. Just type in your country and how far you are prepared to travel.
I have the director for 2016-2017 listing every club in Singapore and all the committee members phone numbers and emails.
Earlier this week the website was not working for me. So I asked a colleague to check the website on another computer and email address to see if my laptop had a fully connection. No, the website was down whichever email address and computer. However, it could have been the router, but you check that by logging onto the BBC or another website.

I sent my friend a list of the three clubs meeting today. Then I tried contacting three members of the committee of the club meeting earliest.

They had cancelled because most members were out of town (either on business or because of Chinese New Year).

I was getting ready to check on the next meeting in the afternoon to help my friend, when he replied:

'I'm giving up trying to go to meetings today. It's an important date, the even of Chinese New Year is the Reunion Dinner.'

I didn't realise that. I knew the two days of Chinese New Year. But apparently the evening before is like Xmas Eve in Europe. (In central European countries such as the Czech Republic, Xmas eve is a family dinner with carp (or other fish) as the main dish. That's in contact to the UK, where the main meal is Xmas day lunch. (However, offices increasingly close the afternoon of the day before because people are rushing around doing last minute shopping for food so it's fresh and because shops will be closed the next day or two, and they need last minute presents, and to go home and tidy the house for visitors.

Author
Angela Lansbury, author and speaker. See my books on Amazon and Lulu.com Please also read other posts on the blog and my other blogs. You can read profiles and connect with me on Facebook or LinkedIn. Please like, follow and share.

No comments: